You guys–my darling husband and I went on an out-of-the-house date last night for the first time in over a year and it was magical. The weather was perfect, the company delightful and the food fantastic. I know ‘back to regular life’ isn’t always going to be awesome, but just a note that some of it will be!
I know that lots of things are shifting as schools open up more, people are getting vaccinated and we are cautiously building our outside-our-pod lives. Keep in mind some of the GOOD things that happened for you this year and the things you want to prioritize. There is a danger of just rushing full tilt into whatever opens up, but be picky. Don’t fritter away the global re-set this year allowed.
Ok, ready for a few ideas for you (and your life) (and the world) to be just a little bit better? Here are 5 quick links to bring you a little joy, a chance to think or to provide a helpful tool to you in 5 (ish) minutes! 🙂
Hope in 5 (ish) : your weekly newsletter to make being human a little easier
- How do you re-engage with people you haven’t really stayed connected to over this past year? I mean, what questions do you start with to ease back in? I came across this list of 200 conversation starters that should help! I like that they are broken up by level–from very casual to more intimate. Lemme just tell you, after being at home with Casey for the past year where some days the extent of our conversations are logistical, child-related, or texts during zoom meetings of ‘Can you make the dog shut up?’, I was grateful to have a few of these to have on hand on our date night so we could have an actual conversation. 🙂
- This is a fantastic article about the weird cycle of life we have been in this year. It is a normalizing, cathartic read. Take a few minutes to read all the way to the end. I might print it and save it just to remember moments from this year. We are not the people we were before the pandemic.
- Is there anything better than a list of potentially-life changing things that can be shipped directly to your door? I mean, I feel like life is hard and if the magnetic baby Yoda dishwasher magnet on this list will make me smile AND make my life a little easier, Amazon can have my $10 for it. (Also, that rechargeable candle lighter! I didn’t even know that was a thing!) (To be clear, I know baby Yoda’s name is Grogu, but come on….baby Yoda.)
- If you just want something lovely to look at for a few minutes to remember that the world is an endlessly beautiful and fascinating place, check out the 2021 Sony World Photography winners. My favorites include the child sitting on the counter, the bunny, and the girl in Africa. Wow. Hit ‘reply’ on this email and tell me which ones you liked. (There are also several other photography lists at the bottom of the article for a little more visual perusing.)
- It’s fascinating to look back on films that have won Oscars and here is a great list of winners that are on Netflix right now, including some of this year’s nominees. Grab some great movie snacks and settle in for a nice long weekend binge session!
p.s. Who do you know who loves a good movie list? Go ahead and forward this on to them! 🙂
p.p.s. Oh heeey! Was this forwarded to you? You can get this nifty newsletter sent right to your inbox next week!